Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Product Review: Kat Von D True Romance Palette- Ludwig

Admittedly, I will not  be posting as many photos with this post as I normally do with product reviews. I've had this palette a long time. It's (barely) survived two flights across the world, and TSA playing catch with my cosmetics bag, which most of my makeup didn't survive. :( So I will be using stock photos, except with the swatches.


This was the first Kat Von D cosmetic purchase I ever made. Actually, it was part of my first Sephora purchase too for that matter. I fell in love with the colors, and decided I needed it in my life. I bought it on my way to Australia, and on the flight, before I even got to do anything with it, Lucifer, the black shade broke! OH NO. I managed to get it out of the palette without it completely destroying any of the other shadows, but I didn't get to use that color until much later, when I got another palette with it in it. The rest of the colors in the palette definitely made it into my daily rotation really quickly though.

Lucifer- a matte black- It's not bad for a matte black, but it's not the most remarkable matte black I've ever used.
Orbi- A darker green with a gold shimmer- I use this color at least 2-3 times a week because of how much I like it. The pigmentation is great, and it's very buildable.
Dimebag- A brighter, lighter green with a gold shimmer- This color is really fun. Admittedly, it's not as pigmented as I'd like, but it is still wearable, although it goes better with a highly pigmented primer.
Tequila- a soft yellow with a slight shimmer- This color makes an excellent highlight color. It has a subtle shimmer to it, so you won't look too shiny with it.
Clay- a soft yellowy tan with a slight shimmer- I like this color. It is a fun highlight, but it would also be a decent candidate for a subtle almost no makeup-type look
Downtown- a pale, shimmery champagne color- Another really pretty color. This shows up similar to Urban Decay's Sin, but with a slight bit more pigmentation
Baroque- A darker, shimmery brown- From a non-utility standpoint, this is my favorite color in the palette. Leather is more useful for me, but this one is prettier.
Leather- A matte chocolate brown- This is the most useful color in the palette for me. It's the color I use for my brows, and it is a good shadow color as well.

Overall, this palette is pretty fabulous. There are a couple colors that are a bit less standout than others, but it's a favorite of mine because it has a great multitude of looks that can be done with it.

Swatches (primer on top, no primer on bottom):

Left to right- Lucifer, Orbi, Dimebag, Tequila


Left to right- Clay, Downtown, Baroque, Leather

No comments:

Post a Comment