Monday, July 11, 2011

Product Review- Maybelline Eye Studio Color Explosion- Amethyst Ablazed

Here's what it looks like. It retailed at Meijer for $9.49. I would like to say that I have not put this product on my eyes. Nor will I. Ever. For any reason. The colors look really pretty, and with a name like "color explosion" you can't go wrong. right? Well, I'm pretty sure this is going to go horribly wrong. It starts out with four different coordinating shades of purple, silver and pink, which aren't bad. A little on the flaky and chalky side, but still reasonably wearable. Then, it goes horribly wrong. See that glittery atrocity up top? That's supposed to be worn as a shimmery topcoat over the whole thing. My god. It's so soft that when I put my fingertip in it to swatch it, it left a giant dent. I don't even want to know what would happen if you put the included sponge tip applicator in it, or even worse, a real makeup brush. Then, if you put it over the regular shadows, you are left looking like a glitter factory vomited all over your eyeballs, or you are a lost member of the Cullen family. I can assure you that there is no way that this shimmery "topcoat" will stay on your eyes, even with all the primer in the world, so you'll be left with glitter everywhere.

But glitter is fun! Well, yes, but as a contact lens wearer, I can only imagine the horrors this glitter would inflict upon my eyeballs, and I don't really fancy having my contacts resemble disco balls.

Bottom line: The colors in this are really fun, but they're not $9.49 worth of fun. Oh, and skip the topcoat, because it looks horrifying. Save your money for something more interesting.

Here's the swatch:
The bottom color doesn't even show up, just as a light shimmer. The bolder colors show up nicely, but when you put the chunky glittery topcoat over the whole thing, it just turns into a hot, glittery mess. (look at those chunks by my wrist!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment