Monday, July 11, 2011

Sally Hansen Crackle Polish Review

I bought a few of the new Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat polishes ($5.99) today while I was at work. Let me just say, I was super geeked about them. I bought Antiqued Gold, Snow Blast, Cherry Smash, and Distressed Denim. I was so excited that I literally painted my nails right on the counter. That's right, I was absurdly excited. So here's my review...

1. Antiqued gold- I love the gold color on this one. As far as the crackle goes, it's a tricky balance to get enough pigmentation to show off the gold color, while still getting enough shatter in it. it goes with a lot of colors, which is cool, but it is hard to get the crackle to work well

2. Snow Blast- This one is my favorite out of the four. It goes with literally anything, which is great, and it still shows up even with the thinnest coat needed to make it crackle.

3. Cherry Smash- My least favorite- This one is difficult to get the red to show up at all. It shows up like a thin glaze, so it's not super bold, and it only really goes with a few colors, so it's kind of a waste of money, unless you *really* like red.

4. Distressed Denim- I want to like this, but again, it seems to fall in with the Cherry Smash in the disappointing category. I really liked the way it looked with a shiny copper underneath, but that was about it.

Overall thoughts- For $5.99, the only ones that would be really worth the price would be the black and the white, because they go with anything, but honestly, the other colors, while pretty, aren't really fantastic enough to really make it worth their pricetag. The formula seems to last pretty well, but overall, I do feel a bit disappointed with them as a whole.

Photos in action:

2 comments:

  1. I wondered about these. Looks like I'll probably pass. Is the texture of your nail then all rough on top? Because that bugs me. I like them super-smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture is very, very rough. I don't have a topcoat on, but it's definitely rougher than the OPI or China Glaze crackle polishes, which are pretty smooth when you put a topcoat on them. But yeah, I'd probably pass on them as well. They're kinda pricey, and it's one of those trends that'll probably be over by fall anyway.

    ReplyDelete